We will post updates here about the forest fires, and any impact to the race, as we have them.
Highway 46 between Detroit and Olallie Lake is OPEN!
We are planning to use a rerouted course this year. All the information about crew access, aid station distances, and section descriptions are updated on the Course & Crewing page. There is also a link to the new course map.
We understand everyone is anxious about the forest fires and their potential impact on the race. We are too. The thought of having to cancel a second race this year due to fire is gut wrenching. Please know that we are in communication with the Forest Service and have a couple reroutes planned just in case. We are doing what we’d normally be doing right now to get ready for the race; you should be too!
There is absolutely no way we can know or predict what the fire, air, or smoke situation will be in two weeks. These things can change daily, even hourly. You can see from the two pictures, taken from the same spot at Timothy Lake, where the Dam aid station is, how things can change. The first is from Wednesday with a lot of smoke in the air. The second is from today, with no smoke, but with clouds and even some blue sky. Perfect racing conditions! The air on the course from the Pinheads aid station north was clean and clear today from yesterday’s rain. We weren’t at Olallie Lake today so don’t have a photo to share, but the Resort’s report sounds like things have improved there too.
Unless something catastrophic happens, the earliest we would make a decision to cancel the race is next Sunday 9/17.
All racers can expect the pre-race email next Wednesday. We would send an email to all racers and volunteers right away if we have to cancel the event.
Thanks to everyone who did rain dances – they worked, keep it up!
Photos posted to the Facebook Group
As you probably know, there are several forest fires burning near the Mountain Lakes 100 course (Whitewater, Little Devil, and Scorpion). We are monitoring the fires daily. None of these fires are burning ON the course. Forest Service Road 4220 is currently closed. This road is part of the course. A section of Highway 46 is currently closed, which would impact access to the race start for those driving from the southern and central west side of the state/through Detroit.
The biggest concern at this point is the smoke and air quality. Since the race is 20 days away, it is too soon to make a decision about having or cancelling the race. We are still planning to have the race on 9/23. We do have an alternate route planned if FS4220 stays closed.
We will be at Olallie Lake and on the course later this week and will continue to post updates here and on the Facebook Group. If we have to cancel the race, we will email all the runners and volunteers to the email address on their Ultrasignup account.
Inciweb is a great resource for information about the fires.
-Renee & Todd