Yes, hauling water uphill to an aid station is fun. And of course it is a competition too.
Each year a bunch of strong-backed people hike water to the Ape Canyon and Toutle aid stations on the Volcanic 50 course. The race is remote and you cannot drive to the aid stations, so this is how we get the supplies there.
You can win a free race entry. Just be the person who carries the most weight on your back, in relation to your body weight.
We’ll feed you well for your efforts with a post-hike meal when we’re done. And all the Sherpas will get a special reward that no one else will ever have.
Depending on the number of volunteers, we may break into two groups and one goes to Ape Canyon and the other to the Toutle. Or if there aren’t enough to do both locations on Saturday, we’ll all just go to Ape Canyon that day. Then, you’re invited to camp Saturday night and join us on Sunday when we take care of the Toutle aid station.
- Arrive at Marble Mountain Sno Park by 8:00 a.m. both or either day.
- There is no cell or internet service shortly after you leave Woodlawn WA area, so have driving directions or anything else you need printed.
- No parking permits are needed at Marble Mtn. A NW Forest Pass is required at the Ape Canyon trailhead, so bring one if you have one (we have some if you don’t).
- Bring a large backpacking-style backpack if you own one or can borrow one.
- Trekking poles are helpful
If you are on Facebook, definitely check out the Event as there is more discussion happening there.